Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Finally Coming to XBLA


I can never figure myself out sometimes.  I rail on kiddie games like Pokemon, but I love a kid/teen trading card game like Yu-Gi-Oh.  I have a serious weak spot for card games, but there aren't that many that really last.  Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Marvel Vs. DC are certainly three long standing games.  Yu-Gi-Oh has really been the only one that's put any effort into bringing the card game to digital format though.

The Vs. game was awesome (PSP/DS/PC), but it was only Marvel cards and there's no sign of there ever being another one made, too sad.  Magic tried early on the PC and then went AWOL (minus a bad spin-off on the original Xbox) until Magic the Gathering showed up on Xbox Live Arcade.  The Magic XBLA game was a nice representation of the card game, but it was severely held back by having a very small card pool and lack of acquiring and editing decks.  The cards were also very basic, using mostly entry level rules and reactions.

Yu-Gi-Oh on the other hand has been putting out full-fledged games for years.  The games, mainly on PSP and DS have kept the series up to date with newly released expansions and rules.  They generally come packed with thousands of cards, which you earn buying in-game packs with in-game money (thankfully).  This is why I'm so excited about the announcement.  It'll be great to get these handheld games with the full rules and high resolution graphics on a current console.  I wish I had more details about the number of cards and how current the set list will be, but I'll be sure to keep my eyes and ears open.

No comments:

Post a Comment