Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Remote Play for PS2 Games on the PS3/PSP

The PS3 and PSP offer this really awesome technology called Remote Play.  Remote Play allows content to be played on the PS3 (games, movies, music) and streamed onto the PSP remotely.  For games, you can use the PSP controls to play while the video is streamed back to you on the PSP screen.  You might not have ever heard of this, and for good reason.  Sony isn't doing crap with it.

This unofficial listing shows there are hardly more than a handful of PS3/PSN games playable via remote play.  BlazBlue works and works really well.  It's such a convenience to be able to leave the PS3 and screen and play your game elsewhere.  If you're into two generation old games, every PSOne game is playable this way, but what I really want is all the PS2 games.

I figure I have limited time in front of the PS3, but I have other time where mobile gaming is a possibility.  If I could play PS2 games through the PSP, I think I could seriously put a dent in my PS2 backlog (looks at a pile of unfinished RPGs).  Unfortunately Sony thought backwards compatibility was a non-factor for gamers and pulled it out of hardware shortly after release.  So here I am with a PS3 that can play all my PS2 games, the ability to remote play stuff on the PSP, and absolutely no hope of it ever happening.  That is, until I saw this...

No comments:

Post a Comment