Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Are We Ready for 3D Gaming?


CES 2010 showed us that consumer electronics were taking 3D visuals seriously.  GDC 2010 confirmed that it may be a real possibility for the future of gaming too.  Eidos announced that the Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY edition will be coming stateside like we suspected.  The game will come packed with four extra maps and include an option for 3D visuals with the packed in glasses.  I'll certainly be taking a look at it when it's released, but I really have no idea what to expect.

I've always written off 3D as a gimmick for movies and theme parks.  I'm dating myself here, but I remember eagerly anticipating the couple times a year broadcast TV would show a 3D movie.  I was little, but I think we got our glasses at the corner store with the TV Guide.  Later on 3D shows became an integral part of all the Florida theme parks.  None of those were particularly impressive.  Generally things that poked out of the screen to scare or amaze you looked out of focus.  With blockbuster movies now taking a chance on 3D, my level of skepticism was still very high, but once I saw Avatar and Alice in Wonderland in IMAX 3D, I think I'm a firm believer.  So bring on the games, movies, and new TVs (and more comfortable glasses please).  I'm optimistic and ready to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment